Christmas Grocery Delivery slots 2023

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I already have an ASDA one booked, and an Ocado one. They were easy to get, I have a delivery saver pass for both and got priority access.

The Tesco one will no doubt be the usual crazy, mad scrum early in November. For some reason they make you get up at 5am to start virtually queuing for them :rolleyes
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

November the seventh so as soon as bonfire night is done with.

Last year Tesco secretly opened earlier than 6am and were 250k in the queue at 6.02am very unfair of them. Its part of Xmas tradition now though isn't it.

I have to also remember to make at least basic full orders for normal shopping otherwise it's just bread and milk being brought because systems too overloaded with Xmas shoppers to let me amend normal orders. If I don't order a month ahead it's always only dark evenings left in furbyland so I put three things on a month ahead and it's a good system except in December.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

It's a good system yes. It requires a bit of thinking ahead but sounds like you have got into a routine :up

Not all of the special Christmas foods have gone 'live' yet but when they do there's always some that go out of stock to order almost immediately :mad I don't understand this, as surely they could just make (and sell!) more if an item is very popular?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Each store has a limited number of shelves though so they can't. They probably have it in some big warehouse somewhere but if not on shelves this minute at your nearest store as chosen by tesco you can't order it. This is a major flaw in Tesco general ordering not allowing orders in advance in hope of stock on the day. They let you order the special Xmas foods like turkeys and cheesecakes under this system but it doesn't extend to other foods even at Xmas.

The other shops are taking bookings really early aren't they who even knows what they are doing Xmas week yet. In COVID and post COVID was a big fuss of cant get delivery drivers that seems to have gone quiet in news doesn't it but are they taking orders hoping to get staff to deliver them.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Tonight's the night.

I'll be setting my alarm for 5.15, there were hundreds ahead of me in the 'waiting room' when I joined at 5.35 last year.

I 'll have both my app and the website open. Last year the app got me in first but it's not always the case.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Morning.

I have a paused queue. They are even suggesting people book one thing and be off of give others a chance.

I do that anyway so have my normal week order to fight the queue to add to.

Doesn't seem very helpful for planning though because how can they plan for enough vans if planning on bringing one milk and then have to bring a dozen bags of potatoes and turkeys.

Update - it's a 34 minute queue now last year they said how many million in the queue.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I had Tesco up on my app and laptop by 5:15

At 5:40 ish the 'you are now in a paused queue' thing came up

It was rather exciting watching the blue bar creep up and the time go down!

I had the special order stuff in my basket so it was just a couple of clicks when it was my turn, around 6.07

Email of confirmation at 6:09

All slots gone in my area - not even an evening one left! - by 9 this morning, maybe earlier

Pani's area still has some left for the earlier days.

Hope you got one, Furby!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I had to get the Friday. There were no slots at all Xmas eve when I got through but it is a Sunday so reduced working hours. Saturday had some slots left but only late times. Also went back and booked my normal weekly order because those slots too get taken in December by Xmas shoppers.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Good thinking by Furby. I've put in a regular order at Asda for two weeks time plus a second one for the week before Christmas week. I have both German supermarkets each within a two mile round trip and can top up fresh fruit and veg during Christmas week from them. I've got a big shopping trolley so no need to use the car.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)