Happy Birthday our Panikos!

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Happy birthday to Panikos on Monday, our Pani who founded the board with me back in the Dark Ages, and without whom it literally wouldn't exist.

"Hey I know! why don't we make a nice chatty message board where we can post pics and stuff and so on?" I gaily said.

The software for boards like our previous one was called Ikonboard, and Pani found with some dismay there was quite a lot to learn before we could actually pop one up on the internet - finding a host (endless trouble with this over the years but now seem to be settled with A2Hosting) - how to actually upload to a webspace - data bases - C-Panel - learning two new programming languages - and so on.

In the early weeks, poor daft chap, I think he entertained some vague notion I might walk this journey with him side by side, sharing the stress and learning together as we went, but I showed so little promise as 'fellow technician' finally we settled on him actually doing the work, and me making vague promises of 'posting a few puzzles on it now and then to draw people in.'

Amazingly he went with that :devil so I sat back and watched while he created the wonder that is hard-facts, like a wizard weaving gold out of smoke, and then, being Pani, and fortunately an actual genius which helps, he set about adapting it so it was very personal to us all, and made a nice haven for like-minded people to come together. It took him about a week :D though he carried on making nice little adaptations to it over the years.

At one time we had probably 50 very active members posting regularly, and some of those, our Veterans, are still here with us, and very glad we are of that :bighug

Last year, 2022, two things happened. We made the Mill, for North and South fans, and that brought in some lovely new people; and then poor OldBoard died, and it died forever :sob

So Pani was back to square one, after literally two decades of knowing everything OldBoard did or was capable of doing, and knowing almost every line of its programming, and how to find the spare teapot in the darkest furthest cupboard. He bravely found us a new board, this one, and while it isn't the same, it does very well. We can't adapt it as much as our old one, but it will do nicely.

So, although Pani doesn't post very often, he is always here, tweaking this and that and janitoring and keeping things tidy and everything backed up, so if it should encounter malevolent gremlins everything can be put back in a moment. (He actually wrote special automated programs to do this, and then there's Dora, a semi-intelligent AI program (sorry Dora. I only say semi, because the last conversation I had with you, you did fail the Turing test a bit but keep working on it) who automates all this and sends reports back to the Master and never bothers him unless she really has to. And then he wrote the Tweedles, I do love the Tweedles. They are two linked little scripts - Tweedle One checks that Dora is running and reports to P if she fails, and - this is the genius part - Tweedle Two's only job is to check on Tweedle One and check that IT is running ok :D

Anyway as you can see, Pani who is a somewhat silent figure to some of you, is vital to this board, and I want him to have The Best Birthday Ever.

Pani, we are so glad to have you :)
:bday Happy Birthday Panikos - have the best day :party
For He's a Jolly Good Fellow :cupcake

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Happy birthday, Pani. Hope you'll have a great day! 😃 :bday :cupcake :party
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Happy birthday to Pani.

Nothing stays still long enough to learn it these days does it suppose the board had to stop sometime. Nearly 20 years is very good going in modern times.

This is artwork of Pani and his servers and some of his saved donkeys.
Attachments
Birthday 2023
Birthday 2023
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Happy Birthday, Pani! :beer :wave
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Thanks all. :wave and thanks Furby for the artwork. You're right things don't stay the same.

This is me keeping one step ahead of the changes
KeepingAhead.jpg
Having a good day so far.

With all the computers, phones etc I've never owned a tablet and I do now. :up

Still sorting out where everything is but it's fun.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I've been out and about today and missed this occasion.
Have a great rest-of-the-day Pani. :toast :bday :party :beer
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
STPD

Post by STPD »

Aww Happy Birthday dear Pani!!! :cupcake :bday :hugs

What a lovely history of the board(s) and I am so proud of your determination and resourcefulness in making this feel such a welcoming and user-friendly space for everyone. I especially love the sound of the Tweedles (actually I’d quite like a job like Tweedle Two has… just observing and sneaking essentially :rofl )

Anyway, I hope you’ve had a lovely day, and feel thoroughly treated and special.

Sending lots of love :cuddle
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Thanks all.

It such a good day I've decided to extend it another 24 hours (or longer) :)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Don't spend too much energy finding where things are on a tablet because they update three times a day if you let them and move things. My favourite improvement is on play store settings do not update apps at tablets convenience.

A day is so short now good idea to have a birth week instead of just a birth day.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

Sorry I'm late! Happy birthday Panikos 🎂 🥳
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I don't have a tablet any more, though, Furby, I remember the happy days of our Hudl, you with your little people and me with my treasure hunting dragon fighting game:( I've had a look for that game and can't find it now in Play Store :( but I did recommend P buy The Room, which i remember as an excellent puzzle-solving game.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
babs

Post by babs »

Panikos wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:41 am Thanks all.

It such a good day I've decided to extend it another 24 hours (or longer) :)
Phew! I haven't missed the day after all! Happy birthday Pani :bday
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Belated happy birthday to you, Pani, and I hope that you had a great day.

THANK YOU a million times over for the work you do to keep the forum and the Mill going.

Thank you, merry, for this vision and for telling us all about Panikos.

:bday

ME
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Thanks Mimosa, Babs. :wave

It's all been pretty good. Though I wasn't allowed to have a candle for each year for safety reasons. :lol

Furby, I didn't know that was a setting so I shall look.

I'm gradually taming the tablet and I'm enjoying it, but I just spent ages trying to make the keyboard match that on my phone and it seems you can't. Why would they move the delete key other than to annoy people?
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

mimosa wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:39 pm Belated happy birthday to you, Pani, and I hope that you had a great day.

THANK YOU a million times over for the work you do to keep the forum and the Mill going.

Thank you, merry, for this vision and for telling us all about Panikos.

:bday

ME

Mim. You are just so lovely :hugs :heart